Allison had no answer, but that didn’t get Haley down at all.
I could feel
my feet start to walk in their direction, straight down the bar and stopping
right in front of them, as though I was having an out of body experience.
“As far as
loosening up, I meant alcohol.....Shot time!”
away from her mom right at that moment, honing in like a laser beam on my exact
looked right through me.
“Two shots of
fireball, please,” Haley requested sweetly, but I could tell she didn’t notice
me at all.
that made her even cuter. She was completely there, in that moment, with her
mom. Clearly, they had a strong, close, vibrant relationship, and a respect
that I hardly ever saw between people anymore.
such a technologically driven era, people rarely interacted with one another
without an outside distraction like a cell phone going at the same time.
I’m not anti-technology, but I am pro-personal connection. The kind of
camaraderie that’s strong enough to hold a person’s entire interest. It’s
probably a lifetime lacking in close connections that drives my philosophical
approach to conversational engagement, but I couldn’t tell you for sure because
I’m not a psychologist.
“You got it,
sweetheart,” I said, and then began thoroughly kicking my own ass for adding on
a term of endearment. I seriously didn’t know what the fuck was wrong with me.
I didn’t know what is was about this girl that had me tied in knots, and I
didn’t know why in the fuck I kept letting myself forget I was in the middle of
a very serious, extremely dangerous investigation.
probably a price on my head at that exact moment, for fuck’s sake.
I pulled my
lips back over my teeth immediately, putting away the dimples and effectively
putting the kabash on my smile. But it didn’t even matter because she still
hadn’t even really looked at me. In fact, another man, someone I wasn’t
familiar with, had just approached her and started flirting.
He was a
cocksucking dork, I could tell, but she flirted back. The really disgusting
part is that I felt an immediate flare of fire in my belly, the edges of my
flaming jealousy licking the lining of my stomach and burning me alive.
shots on the bar in front of them, I redirected my mind and energy and moved to
the other end of the bar, keen to do any other work I could come up with.
But as I
left, I allowed myself one last look, startling noticeably when Allison’s keen
blue eyes found mine and a knowing smile crept sweetly onto her face.
About The Author
Laurel Ulen Curtis
is a 27 year old mother of one. She lives with her husband and son (and cat and
two fish!) in New Jersey, but grew up all over the United States. She graduated
from Rutgers University in 2009 with a Bachelor of Science in Meteorology, and
puts that to almost no use other than forecasting for her friends and writing a
storm chasing heroine! She has a passion for her family, laughing, and reading
and writing Romance novels. She’s also addicted to Coke. The drink, not the
I had an absolutely AWESOME time at Wicked Book Weekend, and if you know what's good for you, you'll attend next year. Still not convinced? Well, maybe this stuff will do the trick.
1. People used to the cold tundra of the north will find Florida warm at all times, while Floridians are wearing nothing short of a parka.
2. Certain lighting will make Tara Sivec's face look like she's contracted a flesh eating virus, and at the same time, make me look possessed by the devil.
3. Pam Godwin is really effing hot. Like really, really hot.
4. Joanne Christenson wins everything. And she deserves to. She'll also make a really classy recovery from a fall by yelling, "Bitch down!"
5. Jenn Cooksey has one of the coolest tattoos ever on her arm. She'll also let you admire it for awkward lengths of time.
6. Ivie is one of the sweetest, most awesome organizers you could possibly ask for. And her husband is a G.
7. If at any time you disappear to call your husband, people's first assumption will be that you've been kidnapped.
8. Attending husbands will gravitate toward other husbands like heat seeking missiles.
9. Desiree Gorman can freaking move. Like whoa.
10. If you ask really nicely, certain tattoo artists will "talk dirty to you".
11. The life of a bellhop at events like this is one thread short of suicide watch. Boxes, boxes, and more boxes.
12. If your roommate jokingly answers with "no" when you ask if she's decent, the bellhop will come to a screeching halt just outside of your room. The look of panic will never leave his face the whole time he's in your room.
13. Buffy walks really, really fast.
14. One reader in particular doesn't find her brother cute enough to consider partaking in incest.
15. If you ask a reader their favorite sexual position at this event, they'll answer with no hesitation.
16. You will see more boobs than you would at a bachelor party in a strip club.
17. Tessa Teevan has the best blank stare ever. She will stare you down after you say something to her until you're considering crawling away in shame, and then resurrect your self esteem at the last second with a really big smile.
18. Harper Sloan's personality is almost as nice as her ass.
19. Being seated directly next to the vibrator races is like hitting the lottery.
20. In NO way will you ever manage to spend enough time with all of the awesome people that you really want to.
***Addition***21. As a signing author, unless you make someone your bitch and send them around the room with your stuff you want signed, you won't get any autographs. :(
There is SO much more I could include on this list, so I'll add to it as more and more memories come back to me. :)